Thursday, March 19, 2009

Yale Cribs, Part 1


When I applied to colleges, where I lived was very important to me. For some reason, trying to study for my future biology exam or write a twenty page paper in a cinder block box of a room lacked a certain appeal. However, the classic college dorm is viewed as a rite of passage for every university co-ed. It is the delectable combination of linoleum floors, fluorescent lighting, bunk beds and shower caddies.Some of them even were reminiscent of prison cells:















For many of the schools I had applied to, I knew that the dorm room mentioned above would most likely be my fate.

This is why I was happy to find the Yale Cribs page on the Yale Admits website once I was accepted. This was after I had ordered my free t-shirt, checked out all of the other Illinois students and generally jumped up and down in front of my computer. Yale Cribs painted a world for me where college students live in spacious rooms with picture windows, and dare I say sometimes fireplaces? I showed Yale Cribs to my mom, my friends, the mailman and anyone else I could find.

This semester, I struggled with one issue I had with Yale Cribs. The last time I checked, Cribs is an MTV reality show that films celebrities walking through their expansive mansions. The show works because video captures so much more of the personality than photos can. I decided that it was time for Yale Cribs to segue into the digital video age.

So, dear Class of 2013 (I will assume you will all matriculate of course), this post is a collection of video clips featuring authentic, real deal Yale rooms and the quirky personalities that inhabit them. There are handmade chandeliers, Audrey Hepburn posters, and color schemes abounding. Remember, your room at college is where you will sleep, chat, eat, laugh, cry and potential any other action verb that you can imagine. I will be uploading one featured room per blog.

Kevin, 2012, Morse College- Durfee Hall
Architecture













Note: This is Kevin's single. It is in a suite with a common room, bathroom, two doubles and one other single.


Chandelier fashioned from pipe and spare glass bottles:











































Mobile

No comments:

Post a Comment